+

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

RSS

Here's another example of "new" technology that I tried out a few? couple of? years ago and didn't stick with me. I'm willing to give it another go. For some reason, going through my bookmarks seems easier to me than using bloglines. I'm not a big fan of the interface for starters. I just don't like the way it looks, I get overwhelmed with the number of posts I haven't read and then I just quite reading them all together.

I had some success with a personalized igoogle homepage last year. I liked picking my own background and that I could read the post on my page or open it in a new window. I guess maybe it's just and aesthetics issue for me. Huh. But I don't check my google homepage anymore and I don't even remember my login. I'll try the Bloglines for the next few days and see how it works for me and report back.

I do like the idea of RSS feeds and libraries. I know we send out a monthly newsletter to folks who subscribe, but I'd also love to see the option for little reminders through RSS feeds. Upcoming reading group at Ridgefield? Add it to the blog and let RSS subscribers receive the message in their bloglines. Friends booksale this weekend? Ditto. ALA Newbery and Caldecott winners? Storytime break? Hot new book by popular author in the catalog and ready for holds? I guess the first step is to get some FVRL blogs going and advertise them so that the public can sign up for them. I'd love to see this happen and I'd love to be a part of it!

No comments: