+

Tuesday, January 15, 2008

RSS continued


Oh, it seems I'm not done with RSS yet!

1. Feedster: the link didn't work (and i really wish the FVRL 2.0 blog would open sites in a NEW window so I don't have to hit back to get to the assignment!) Here's the message I get when I google Feedster: Feedster
Feedster.com. Version 2.1 BETA. Feedster is Changing... We'll be back up soon with exciting news! So, no thoughts on Feedster.

2. Topix: I'm not a fan of the overcrowded home page. It's a bit text-heavy for me. I do like the little interactive graph that comes with the search results, but if I'm looking for news, I'm going to do a Google news search. No question about it.

3. Syndic8.com: Ewwww, I hate the homepage. I didn't realize I had such feelings about graphic design, but these are some unappealing sites! This is definitely uglier than Topix. Reminds me a bit of the old Librarian's Index to the Internet site, though I see they haven't improved much. Hmmm, why on earth would Syndic8 default to chronological order starting with the OLDEST news? That is bizarre. Hmm, it's so ugly I have to move on.

4. Google Blog Search: I've used this many times. It has the familiar Google "brand" logo, familiar search interface, option to create an email alert. Seems solidly Google.

5. Technorati: it definitely has a more eye-pleasing design (to me) than the majority of these sites. The first result that popped up under libraries was from 24 minutes ago and was this: http://oedb.org/blogs/ilibrarian/2008/librar-ify-your-igoogle-start-page/
A google gadget that customizes your igoogle homepage with a new library related image from Flickr every time you log on. Very cool. I may have to reconsider my igoogle homepage....

The wikis were interesting and COMPLETELY OVERWHELMING! My favorite method of finding blogs of interest remains looking at the links from my favorite blogs. It was interesting to see the lengthy list of Public Library blogs...i'd love to see FVRL on that list!

No comments: