+

Thursday, January 17, 2008

Meebo & IM

I love Meebo and have been a user for a year or two. When I started using IM I had a yahoo account and I had to download software to my computer to use it. That was fine for my home computer, but what about someone else's computer? Or work? Meebo makes it easy to chat online from any computer.

My heydays of online chat have passed, (I'm too busy at work and don't feel like typing too much when I'm home,) but I do still occasionally sign on to Meebo and chat with a friend. I've heard we have an internal chat program at FVRL, but I have not been signed up for it yet. I definitely see the advantage of coworker chat, especially at a library system where people are in many different locations.

I also see a point to having the ability for the library to IM with the public. I agree with H2 regarding teens and IM, but just because teens have moved on it doesn't mean everyone else has. I think a Meebo widget on our homepage to connect with users is a great idea, and I think it would be attractive to users of all ages.

No comments: