+

Friday, March 14, 2008

When a problem comes along...


YOU MUST WIKI! Ok, I have so far managed to avoid the cutesy post title, but I've just gotta sing about wikis! I really like the idea of wikis, I like the way they're organized, I like that lot's of people or only a few people can edit them, I like how most (all?) of the wikis I've seen are very visually plain with the emphasis on the information, not the graphics. And I love, love LOVE Wikipedia. I can't tell you how many times I've stood in front of classrooms of students, (elementary-college age,) and warned them of the perils of using Wikipedia for homework, just to turn around and use the heck out of it at home. I've even used it on the ref desk! (Wikipedia is great for current and past pop culture.)

In the library, I think wikis are great for booklists, for technical manuals, even for committees to post their minutes, agendas and collaborative projects. I've edited wikis and find them very easy to use (much like this blogger software.) At MCL I helped with a multicultural booklist wiki and found that even some colleagues who were wary of editing the wiki quickly became comfortable using it. I created my own wiki, zines for teens, on which I was going to review zines that would be of interest to teens (it's HARD to establish collections with little to no reviews out there,) and setting up the wiki was very easy. Maintaining it, (reading zines and writing reviews,) proved too time-consuming.

The main thing to watch for with wikis is sources. I looked at Wiki Books Wikijunior and the Bugs page I looked at listed a bunch of great information about beetles, but not a single reference. Another page I looked at said it was a "junior version of the wikipedia article." So then I'd need to go to that site to see what sources were listed. I'd definitely steer kids clear of using this for homework.

But Wiki Books Cookbook is a perfect example of the greatness of wikis. A searchable cookbook that anyone who writes in English can edit. I'm less interested in their nutrition information (the page I looked at had no references other than Wikipedia,) but for recipes or cooking techniques, I think this could be very useful.

1 comment:

manya said...

I'm so glad someone admitted it! I totally warn people about the validity of Wikipedia and then use it myself all the time!

I'm giving a talk in May about online searching and I feel like I have to warn people about it that makes me feel like a hypocrite. What to do?