+

Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Video

I skipped ahead and did the video assignment this morning. Because of our bandwidth issues I needed to do it first thing this morning, even though it felt wrong to be watching TV at my desk at 9 am. (Somehow more wrong than watching TV at my desk at 3 pm. Go figure.) I checked all of the suggested sites (because it's so important to me to do the assignments correctly!) and saved youtube for last. I'm already quite familiar with youtube but had never seen any of the rest. I tried searching sewing and vegetarian cooking on each of the sights. Some had no results, some few, and some quite a few. Youtube won hands-down on every search. I did find Threadheads on Meta Cafe and it was my favorite sewing video. I thought that the two science video sites, ScienceHack and Jove, were excellent. I can see how these would be really useful for teaching and you don't have to wade through all the softcore to get to the videos. The other video related sites were all interesting and I'd never heard of any of them. I have reservations about the suggestion to use Dabble to collect how-to videos into a library account to share with the public due to the amount of potentially offensive videos in their most popular videos section. I like the idea of libraries collecting online videos to share with patrons, but I don't think a commercial sight is the way to go.

Here are a couple of public library ads I found on youtube. They're clever and well-done. I like the idea of YAAB groups making commercials for the library and maybe competing in a contest for the best video. I think that would be a great way to get teens excited about the library AND to make sure they know all the great resources the library has to offer.

Here's Cambridge Public Library's Locker Ad:



Here's one from Fulton County Public Library:




And don't forget my Topeka Barbie bookgroup post!

Ok, I guess now I should do some real work!

No comments: