+

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Audio continued

Ok, there were a few more sites I needed to look at for the first audio portion, but I felt the post was getting too long and texty, so I started a new one. I've been to the Internet Archive site many times, but always only to use the "way back machine." I love to see how websites looked 8-10 years ago and I LOVE to show it to students and remind them that NOTHING is ever really gone from the Internet, so don't put those skanky photos of you and your friends on your myspace page! I see I have a lot more playing around to do with this site. I watched one old Pall Mall (they pronounced it Pell Mell) cigarette ad. I'm definitely going to check this out from home and see what classic movies they have. And of course, who doesn't LOVE watching home movies of someone's vacation? Hours of entertainment! I'm not even going to get started, because I know it would suck up the rest of my day. And it looks like there is a good selection of audio, too. Fun!
I think I've used the Sound Effects Archive before, back in my movie-making phase. Gutenberg is hit or miss (if I'm remembering correctly) as far as audio quality goes. Some of the recordings I've heard are real duds. Mango Languages is new to me and seems pretty cool. I like that you can get 50 lessons for free. I'd definitely do the free 50 lessons before traveling to a non-english speaking country. I think it would give me a few phrases to have on hand, though certainly wouldn't make me fluent!

No comments: