+

Monday, March 17, 2008

Google Docs

I was unable to load the "quick tour" and the video didn't work for me either, but I have used Google Docs in the past, so am somewhat familiar with it. I didn't know I could publish to my blog from here, so we'll see how well that works out. I really love GD. I collaborated with a group of colleagues from different library systems last year on an article and we used GD. It was great because we could all access the document and edit it from wherever we were. However at least one librarian had a difficult time using it and ended up sending her edits through email. I am a Mac user at home and so it is very frustrating when I receive attachments in Word (like my FVRL paystub,) and am unable to open them. GD allows me to view these documents without purchasing the pricey MS Office suite for Macs. (Though it is rather time-consuming and it would really be easier if our paystubs at least were PDFs.) The spreadsheet and presentation software also seems very useful. I wonder how much money a library could save by getting rid of MS and just using Google? The downside, of course, is permanence, privacy and it continuing to be free. There might be limits on how much information you can store and for how long. Overall, I think it can be very useful but will unlikely make MS Office obsolete.

Now I'll try and post this to my blog.



Ok, I just did it and it was INCREDIBLY EASY! Maybe even easier than using Blogger to post. The only think I'd have to do is go back and edit my tags in, and I'd be very unlikely to take the time to do that. I mean, what's the point? It's so easy to add tags as I type in blogger.

2 comments:

manya said...

I don't see any Google Docs....

outside said...

Thanks! It should work now!