+

Friday, December 28, 2007

lifelong learning

After viewing 7 1/2 Habits of Highly Successful Lifelong Learners I think the habit that comes most naturally to me is accepting responsibility for my own learning. I love to learn new things. I'm always making plans to take a class, read a how-to book, travel, watch how-to videos online...as technology evolves I'll be right there trying to figure out how i can use it to learn something new. My weakness (which i don't necessarily see as a weakness!) is definitely beginning with an end in mind. I get ideas in my head about learning something new, take a class/read a book/play with it online, then promptly move on to the next learning experience. I took a film making class at the Northwest Film Center in Portland a few years ago. It was great and I learned how to create a vlog (video blog) and got really excited about film making and posting videos....and then...

Right now I'm taking a tap dance class. I have no plans to ever dance in front of anyone, I'm just doing it for fun and will probably give it up by the end of 2008. I also plan on learning to sew this year and maybe take some cooking classes. I don't really start these with goals in mind, and I'm not usually disappointed when I quit. The drawback is that I never become really good at any one thing, but know bits and pieces about enough to be able to beat my husband at Jeopardy. Sometimes.

No comments: